PELL CITY -- The Pell City Board of Education on Tuesday night approved a new rate scheduled for the Pell City Center for Education and the Performing Arts.
Jeff Thompson, the CEPA director, said the new rate structure was established to create opportunities for smaller groups.
“Rental prices have been reduced in all categories to encourage use,” he said.
The Pell City Council approved the new rates in September.
In accordance with a new management agreement between the city, school system and the CEPA Board, rates must be established annually and approved by the council and the school board.
Money made from the rental fees are used to help maintain the Pell City Center, which as a state-of-the-art theater that seats 400 people and a gymnasium that seats 1,700 people and an additional 460 people on the gym floor.
A $120 cleaning fee is now required for all rentals.
People can rent all or different sections of the $8.5 million facility.
Rates range from $100-$900, depending on a half-day to full-day rental, and the section selected by the renter -- gymnasium and lobby, theater and lobby, or lobby only. Rates also vary whether the event slated at the CEPA is for-profit or just an individual or if it is a nonprofit organization holding the event.
City government events are held at the CEPA building free of charge.
There are other stipulations, such as deposits, when renting part or all of the CEPA building. For more details about the rental rates, go to pellcitycepa.com.
In accordance with the management agreement, Thompson said he will provide a walk-thru next week for school board and city officials.
In other matters, the board:
- Approved to hire Lisa Richie as an Iola Roberts Elementary fourth-grade teacher.
- Approved to transfer of Jayne Price from instruction assistant at Pell City High to Walter M. Kennedy Elementary; and the transfer of Katherine Ferguson, an instructional assistant at Walter M. Kennedy Elementary, to Pell City High.
- Approved the maternity leave of absence for Walter M. Kennedy Elementary teacher Heather McLeod.
- Added Jennifer Grooms to the substitute bus drivers list.
- Elected Tammy Williams as the board chairman and Cecil Fomby as the vice chairman for the upcoming year.
The next regularly scheduled board meeting is Tuesday, Nov. 15.