Talladega Fire Department

TALLADEGA -- The Talladega Fire Department answered nine calls during the past week, including two traffic accidents with non-fatal injuries.

According to Capt. Ron Harrell, the week’s first call, on March 1, was to assist Talladega police with a welfare check on the 500 block of North Street West. The resident appeared to have died of natural causes.

Next was an alarm call at Crawford Hall on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive on the campus of Talladega College. Although false alarms are relatively common on campus, this particular call seemed to be the result of someone pulling at least two alarm stations intentionally.

The week’s first accident was the same day, on Alabama 21 North. Harrell said the accident was technically outside the city’s coverage area, but Talladega firefighters were assisting the Munford Volunteer Fire Department, which was fighting a fire on Pine Street at the time. Two vehicles were involved in the accident, and one person was transported to the emergency room of Brookwood Baptist Health Center/Citizens Baptist Medical Center by NorthStar Ambulance.

The last call for March 1 was also a false alarm, at a residence on Eastaboga Road. In this case, Harrell said, the resident reported having an accident while cooking.

There were no calls listed for March 2, 3 and 4, according to the official call log.

The first call Monday was to a one-vehicle accident on Ashland Highway. Harrell said the driver did not have any visible injuries but was unable to speak or comply with commands and was combative. Firefighters helped restrain the man as he was transported to Brookwood/Citizens by NorthStar.

The same day, firefighters also responded to a small, authorized burn on Allison Mill Road in the city police jurisdiction and a grass and brush fire on Plant Road that burned about half an acre before it was put out.

There were no calls listed for Tuesday, but there were two calls Wednesday, according to the log.

The first involved a kitchen fire at a residence on Avenue H that damaged cabinets and the stove top before it was put out. Light smoke damage was reported throughout the house, and one resident was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Harrell said.

The same day there was an alarm call to a residence on East Street South, but there was no sign of smoke, and the thermal imager found no signs of fire inside the house.

The only call Thursday was canceled after it was determined the wrong department had dispatched to a house fire on Logan Martin Lake.