TALLADEGA -- The Talladega Fire Department answered 10 calls during the past week, including three involving vehicles.

According to Chief Danny Warwick, it was not immediately clear why there had been a cluster of vehicle fires over the last seven days.

“That’s not something that you would necessarily expect to see this time of year,” he said.

The week’s first call, July 5, turned out to be a false alarm at a residence on Stemley Bridge Road, he said.

The first of two calls received July 6 was to an apartment at Pineview Landing, where firefighters discovered a resident lying on the floor after putting something to cook on the stove. The resident had a recent history of medical problems and was transported to Brookwood Baptist Health Center/Citizens Baptist Medical Center by NorthStar paramedics.

The second call of the day was a vehicle fire on Alabama 77. Warwick said the fire appeared to start in the engine compartment of a sedan and may have been due to faulty wiring. The report did not say what kind of sedan was involved.

The first of two calls Saturday was to a two-vehicle accident on Alabama 77 and Broadway Avenue. Warwick said the accident blocked traffic, but no one was injured.

That was followed by a call to 19th Street, where a large limb had fallen across what turned out to be telephone lines. Warwick said firefighters used chainsaws to cut up the limb and remove it while waiting for a crew from AT&T to repair the line.

The only call shown for Sunday was a false alarm at a residence on East Street North.

There was also only one call Monday, to what was initially thought to be a downed power line at Southwood Avenue and Heath Street. It turned out the downed lines actually belonged to AT&T and Charter Cable and were eventually repaired by crews from those companies.

The first call for Tuesday was to a trailer fire at Precision Strip of Alabama 21. Warwick said the trailer was carrying hay bales, which also caught fire, and that two of the tires on the trailer melted.

Tuesday’s only other call was for a smoking ceiling fan at a residence on Court Street South. Warwick said power to the fan was shut off at the breaker, and the resident was told to contact an electrician.

A third vehicle fire was reported Wednesday afternoon at Howard and Bellview streets. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire coming from the engine compartment. Although the fire was put out, the vehicle is a total loss, the chief said.