The Sylacauga High School boys basketball team used a third-quarter run to defeat Talladega 66-58 on Friday night at Chuck Miller Arena.
The Aggies won at Talladega for the first time since 2012 in the Talladega County Tournament.
“We played well,” Sylacauga head coach Will Copeland said. “We just simplified things a little bit. We talked about getting stops. We came out the first possession (of the second half) and we didn’t do a good job of getting through the offense that they were running. I think we settled down (after that); we got some stops defensively.
“(The Tigers) missed some shots at the end, but they kept fighting. Hats off to them. ... I am really proud of our guys with the effort that they gave. It was a solid team win.”
Talladega controlled the first half, maintaining a three- to five-point lead. The Tigers led 34-31 at halftime.
The Aggies used a 17-7 run to take control of the game in the third quarter. The run took place with Talladega’s Chaztin Tanner on the bench after picking up his third foul with 4:37 left in the period.
Sylacauga’s Malik Powell scored nine of his game-high 19 points in the third. Powell gave the Aggies their first lead since early in the game on a 3-pointer to make it 42-40.
Rontavious Barclay hit a layup to tie the game up at 42-all, but Sylacauga answered with baskets from Shannon Grant, Powell and Demarco Campbell to make it 48-43.
Nigel Scales connected on Talladega’s lone 3-pointer in the second half to make it 48-46, but Powell would respond with a floater to give Sylacauga a 50-46 edge.
In the fourth quarter, Talladega struggled shooting the ball, going 4 of 21 from the field.
Desmon Jones would put the game out of reach with an emphatic two-handed dunk to give the Aggies a 59-50 advantage with 1:50 left.
Three to know
- Talladega is on a three-game losing streak.
- Sylacauga had three players in double-digits. Powell scored 19 points, Campbell added 13 and Grant chipped in 11. Daylon Keith closed with nine.
- Tanner led the way for Talladega with 16 points, and Barclay chipped in 11.
- Talladega head coach Chucky Miller on the game: “We went 4 of 21 in both the third and fourth quarter. A lot of them were putbacks, and at the end, we shot some bad 3’s. The kids were trying to make something happen, but they couldn’t. The boys held in there and played pretty good, we just couldn’t get any shots to fall. That’s where we have been the last couple of games. Our defense has been pretty good, but our offense is not clicking right now. It is a long year, it is just the first (part) of December, so we have to get better on that.”
- Powell on winning at Talladega: “It is amazing. It is a great feeling. I wouldn’t want to accomplish this with anyone else but my brothers.”
- Sylacauga (5-2) will host Lincoln on Tuesday at 7:30. p.m. The Aggies defeated Lincoln 74-67 on Tuesday night.
- Talladega (4-3) travels to take on Anniston on Tuesday night at 7:30.