Oxford Fire Department responded to a minor fire Tuesday at the National Gypsum Company on U.S. 78.

A call first came in about a fire in the plant’s paper bale room around 11:15 a.m. from an employee at the plant, Oxford fire Chief Gary Sparks said in a phone interview Tuesday. Firefighters were on scene within three minutes of the call, extinguished the fire and left the scene by 12:40, Sparks said.

It is unclear how the fire started but the sprinkler system held the flames in check until responders arrived on the scene, Sparks said.

“There was minimal damage,” Sparks said. “The majority of it was to the paper bales, but there was some smoke damage in the office area.”

There were no injuries reported during the incident and the plant was expected to be up and running before the day ended, Sparks said.

Efforts to reach a spokesperson for the plant Tuesday were unsuccessful.

​Staff writer Kirsten Fiscus: 256-235-3563. On Twitter @kfiscus_star.