Nov. 20, 1942, in The Star: Fire of undetermined origin destroyed a major portion of the Calhoun County Training School in Hobson City around 10 o’clock last night, the loss exceeding $10,000, partially covered by insurance. Principal C. E. Hanna made arrangements, even while the fire was raging, for classroom work to be carried on in two Hobson City churches. Affected by the fire was space for grades five and above, the first four grades of the school being in a separate building in another section of Hobson City. The burned section was generally occupied by an enrollment of 325. Also this date: On a whimsical mission undergirded by serious intent, an Anniston Star reporter went to the four-block section of Quintard between 18th and 22nd streets and counted everything that would have to be removed for a proper widening of the street to occur. His census: 122. That’s 122 trees, shrubs, power-line poles and street markers — plus one patch of bulbs he tagged as gladioli. The serious aspect of the reporter’s work is that unless the Army get its vehicles off of traffic-cluttered Pelham Road — that’s the World War One-era route, made of brick laid from Baltzell Gate to the city limit — then the War Department might start looking for a more propitious location for its infantry training facility. Two-lane Pelham Road is simply too busy with civilian traffic. The widening of that section of Quintard, and the loss of the vegetation, is seen as essential to the post’s existence.

Nov. 20, 1992, in The Star: It’s expected that area health department buildings will be replaced now that a $45 million bond issue has been freed following a two-year legal tangle. The bonds were first authorized by the Alabama Legislature in 1990. Calhoun County’s main health department building, adjacent to Regional Medical Center, is to be replaced at a cost of $2 million on a site yet to be determined. The current building is 26 years old and has insufficient space and parking.