Feb. 9, 1943, in The Star: Both Anniston High School and Cobb Avenue School are due for classroom additions, both being paid for completely with federal money because it’s been shown the need for extra space is due to enrollment increases brought on by war work. A low bid has already been accepted for Cobb’s four-room addition; meanwhile, a contract is to be let next week for the 12-room Anniston High addition. Also this date: The local ration board, which recently vacated offices in the Calhoun County Courthouse annex, is now established in the former Adams-McCargo Chevrolet dealership building on 12th Street, between Noble and Gurnee.
Feb. 9, 1993, in The Star: Three Calhoun County National Guard companies are among nine Alabama Guard units that will be out of business by Sept. 1 because of Army cutbacks. With more than 400 slots total, the units are all part of the 151st Engineer Battalion: Company B in Anniston, Company C in Piedmont and Company D in Jacksonville. Each has 138 slots.