Two men remained in the Calhoun County Jail on Tuesday after a grand jury this month indicted each of them on a charge of murder in unrelated February incidents, according to court records.

Benny Burgess

Benny Burgess (Kirsten Fiscus/The Anniston Star/file)

Connie Burgess was taken from the scene near cooper Circle to Regional Medical Center where she later died from her injuries, Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown said. Police said crew members on the freight train saw the couple walking on the tracks prior to the incident.

In March, Burgess and his attorney, Nathaniel Abell, sent the case to a grand jury without a preliminary hearing. A grand jury returned an indictment against Burgess on June 18, according to court records filed on Monday.

According to the indictment, Burgess pushed his wife in front of the train.

Burgess remained in jail on a $50,000 bond on the murder charge, but is also being held without bond on three probation violations in connection to his arrest on the murder charge.

Efforts to reach Abell were unsuccessful on Tuesday.

Benny Mitchell

Benny Mitchell (Kirsten Fiscus/The Anniston Star/file)

In Ohatchee, Misty Mitchell, 41, was found dead at her home on Warrior Circle Feb. 27 after police were called regarding a domestic disturbance, police have said. Her husband, Benny Dewayne Mitchell, 55, fled the home after the incident and led police on a manhunt. Mitchell was ultimately found in his vehicle at a truck stop near Centreville by Bibb County sheriff’s deputies and Brent police officers, Ohatchee police Chief Jason Oden said.

Abell was also appointed to represent Mitchell during a preliminary hearing in April. The attorney waived Mitchell’s right to a preliminary hearing and sent the case to a grand jury.

According to the indictment, issued June 18 and filed in court records on Monday, Misty Mitchell died by asphyxiation, though it did not specify how she was asphyxiated.

​Staff writer Kirsten Fiscus: 256-235-3563. On Twitter @kfiscus_star.