You are the owner of this article.
top story

Anniston police searching for suspect in shooting that killed one, hospitalized another

Fatal shooting

Anniston police crime scene investigator Nathan Jackson takes measurements at the scene where Zondrick Foster, 22, was shot and killed. Another man, not identified by police, was shot in the chest and taken to the hospital. (Kirsten Fiscus / The Anniston Star)

Police on Thursday afternoon were searching for a suspect who shot two men at a gas station in southern Anniston, killing one, officials said.

Anniston police Chief Shane Denham said officers received a call about shots fired in the parking lot of a gas station at the corner of Front Street and Chestnut Street shortly before 1 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found two men with gunshot wounds. One man, whom Calhoun County Coroner Pat Brown identified as Zondrick Foster, 22, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head, the chief said. The other man, shot in the chest, was taken to Regional Medical Center, Denham said.

“I don’t know if he’s still there,” the chief said around 2:50 p.m. “I think the plan was to take him to UAB. He has a pretty significant injury.”

Anniston police Sgt. Kyle Price said by phone shortly after 5 p.m. that the second man was in stable condition.

Denham said investigators were working to identify a suspect in the case.

“There were a couple vehicles involved,” the chief said. “We’re looking for a black Mustang. We believe that is the suspect’s vehicle.”

According to a news release written by Anniston police Capt. Curtis McCants, multiple shots were fired.

“Witnesses stated that there were multiple gunshots fired and two vehicles left the scene at a high rate of speed,” McCants wrote.

Price said the other vehicle police were looking for was a white pickup truck.

An onlooker, who works across the street and declined to give his name, said he heard the gunfire.

“I heard about six shots. ‘Bang, bang, bang,’” he said. “I looked outside and saw a black Mustang take off from the parking lot.”

At the scene, officers cordoned off a large portion of a paved and gravel lot of the gas station using their patrol cars and the gas pumps to affix yellow tape.

Four patrol officers watched onlookers as crime scene investigators photographed, measured and collected evidence from the ground. At 2:40 p.m., a white tent stood in the middle of the area under investigation. Foster’s body lay on the ground under the cover.

Once Foster’s body was removed from the scene, the tent was taken down and an investigator kicked gravel and dirt over puddles of blood.

Anniston police ask anyone with information on the case to call 256-240-4000.


​Staff writer Kirsten Fiscus: 256-235-3563. On Twitter @kfiscus_star.