Deputy Wreck

Two deputies and a woman were sent to the hospital with minor injuries after a two vehicle wreck on Noble Street. (Kirsten Fiscus / The Anniston Star)

A two-vehicle wreck on Noble Street this morning sent two Calhoun County deputies responding to a call and another woman to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said.

Anniston police responded to the wreck at Noble and 11th streets around 9:55 a.m., Anniston police Investigator Justin Hise said.

Two deputies in a Ford Explorer were northbound on Noble Street and a Honda Accord was headed west on 11th Street when the two collided, Hise said at the scene.

It was not immediately clear who was at fault, and investigators will have to review camera footage from the deputy’s vehicle, Hise said.

Calhoun County Sheriff Matthew Wade responded to the scene and said his deputies were responding to a call for immediate assistance by another deputy.

“Anniston police responded to a call from a woman who said her husband wanted to commit suicide by cop,” the sheriff said. “They responded and left, then the lady called back and requested we respond.”

Anniston police Capt. Nick Bowles said an officer did respond to the home on Russell Avenue around 6 a.m.

“He wasn’t arrested and nothing happened,” Bowles said. “Then we got a second call along with the county a little while ago.”

Wade said the man who reportedly was going to commit suicide got into a physical altercation with a deputy.

“The deputy was cut and called for immediate assistance,” the sheriff said. “This deputy was responding to the call, turned on his lights and then got into the accident. Now I have three deputies at the hospital.”

Wade said the woman in the Honda, like his two deputies in the wreck, was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

“I don’t believe she had any major injuries,” he said.

Wade said that when the deputy turned his vehicle’s lights on to respond to the other call he also turned its camera.

“That’ll be reviewed,” he said.

The Honda remained in the northbound lane until a tow truck arrived to remove it from the scene. The front bumper on the driver’s side was crumpled in.

The Ford came to a rest on the corner of 11th and Noble in a small area with benches and planters. A fire hydrant, which used to sit on the corner near the street, was lodged under the crumpled front bumper of the SUV.  

​Staff writer Kirsten Fiscus: 256-235-3563. On Twitter @kfiscus_star.