The large, ornate chandelier hanging from the ceiling in the nave at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Jacksonville is original to the 163-year-old building, but the electricity is not.  

In 1856, when the building was built, whale oil, which is made from whale blubber, was used to light the chandelier, according to the Rev. Robert Fowler, who came to St. Luke’s in 2015.

Loading...
Loading...