According to the article, Mrs. Lolly L. O’Connell of Anniston in 1946 was the first woman to ever declare her candidacy for a congressional seat in Alabama.
The appellation The Greatest Generation wouldn't come along until much later, of course, but in 1946 at the college in Jacksonville, it was was clear to some observers these young men and women were going to make their mark in the world.
Original plans for the war memorial building had it being constructed within the bounds of Zinn Park, not facing the park from across Gurnee. It was also intended to be for whites only; black residents would get their own war memorial on West 14th Street.
Wouldn't it be cool, a few folks were saying in 1996, if more than 3,000 across of mountaintop property, located between Anniston and Oxford and now available for sale, were to be acquired by the state’s three-year-old wilderness preservation trust, Forever Wild?
Formally dedicated on this date 75 years ago, the world's first electronic computer got a nice little write-up on page 2 of The Star.
Billy Bancroft was hired as Anniston High School's football coach in February 1946, the beginning of a stellar era in Bulldog football history. Bancroft's 12-season record would be 77-32-7 and he's in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame.
At one time, long city buses plied the streets of Anniston, providing dependable mass transportation to thousands of riders. On this date in 1946, a different route was announced to help folks living in the Rocky Hollow region.
Long before he was Elvis Presley's doctor, Anniston teenager George Nichopoulos was a popular member of Anniston High School's Class of '46, as evidenced by his election to a faux city government post.
Segregated like everything was at the time, the Boy Scouts organization for the Anniston area held a separate meeting for its Black Boy Scouts in 1946.
OAK LEVEL — Multi-colored shards of broken pottery glistened in the winter sun at the site of the long-gone J.A. Rogers pottery shop in northern Cleburne County on a recent afternoon.
The hamburgers didn't cost 15 cents anymore by 1996, but the Jack's company knew there'd be money in recommitting to its longtime homesite at 19th and Quintard following a fire at that location the previous month.
The city had already set aside some land as a park, but in 1946 residents living in the "I" Street area told the City Commission they'd like to see more progress made toward turning that land into a useful, pleasant space. Of course, the land eventually became known as Ezell Park, with a swimming pool and ball fields.