Defending champ Gary Wigington held the lead, but he wasn’t satisfied through the first nine holes of the Sunny King finale at the Anniston Country Club. He hadn’t really contributed a thing. Then he birdied No. 10, eagled 11 and birdied 13.
Gary Wigington isn’t one for big shows of emotion on a golf course. His sporadic shakes of the head through the front nine of Sunday’s final of the 40th Sunny King Charity Classic spoke loudly.
ALEXANDRIA – The low-rambling brick rancher sits atop a hill, some quarter of a mile off the snaking highway that runs between Alexandria and Jacksonville.
A 34-year-old inmate died Saturday after Calhoun County jail staff found him unresponsive in his cell, according to Calhoun County Sheriff Matthew Wade.
The end of the second day of the Sunny King Classic put some familiar faces back in the driver’s seat as Ty Cole and Gary Wigington shot 15-under par at Cider Ridge for a 57.
A heat advisory had been issued for a large part of the state on Saturday but it did not include Calhoun County. A meteorologist said the heat index in Anniston on Saturday would remain below 105 degrees, the threshold for a heat advisory to be issued.
HOT BLAST: Do you trust Facebook and other social media outlets to protect your personal information?
Facebook finds itself in a brewing controversy over how its users online habits were revealed to political campaigns. Do you trust social media companies to guard your private information?
- Look Back ... to a Civitan honor for a Saks youth, 1993
- George Smith: Bob Field: A Yankee who came south
- Many Calhoun County residents find outdoor fun despite sweltering heat
- Driver runs from scene of fatal crash near Oxford
- Calhoun County inmate dies in custody, Sheriff’s Office investigating the cause
- Look Back ... to officers elected for black business group, 1943
- Smoking to be banned in public housing beginning July 31
- Hot temps giving local businesses a boost
- City of Jacksonville to get $940K federal check for tornado debris removal
- Cleburne County girls learn about life skills
- Look Back ... to the tragic death of a popular driver, 1993
- Law enforcement agencies train for active shooters at McClellan
- Store clerks threatened with gun in attempted robbery of Anniston gas station
- New exhibit highlights Calhoun County residents lost in Pearl Harbor attack
- Commissioners agree to participate in program to boost tornado cleanup money
- Right-to-work nonprofit threatens lawsuits against officials still collecting “fair-share fees” for unions
- Rep. Tom Reed supports Trump’s ‘disruptive style’ at NATO
- Look Back .. to Curb Market's early success, 1943
- Train derails north of Tucson, likely caused by heavy rains
- Public Record: June 30, 2018 -- July 6, 2018
- Greene brings the heat at the Futures Game
- Hayes hammers a 2-run homer to left-center
- Jansen clubs a two-run homer to left field
- Alonso mashes a 2-run homer to left field
- Basabe smashes a 2-run home run in the 3rd
- Texas A&M football coach Jimbo Fisher to be front and center today at SEC Media Days
- Jaren Jackson Jr. Helps Leads the Grizzlies To The Semi-Finals | 2018 MGM Resorts Summer League
- Top 5 Plays of the Night | July 15, 2018 | NBA Summer League
- 7/15/18 MLB.com FastCast: Sox hit break with 68 wins
- SEC Media Days: Everything you need to know heading into the 4-day extravaganza in Atlanta
- Lo mejor del domingo
- SEC Media Days 2018: What to expect
- Trammell homers, earns MVP in 10-6 USA win: 7/15/18
- Former Wildcat Danielle O'Toole helps USA softball win gold at International Cup
- Dozier's walk-off grand slam caps 11-7 win: 7/15/18
- The charm: Defending champs win third straight Sunny King
- Condensed Game: OAK@SF - 7/15/18
- Joe Medley: Going eagle for clutch eagle just shows why Cole-Wigington win
- Condensed Game: TB@MIN - 7/15/18
- Rizzo, Heyward star as Cubs complete sweep: 7/15/18
With a wink to the present and a nod to the past, let’s invoke a bit of presidential comparison to understand the depths of the Trump administration’s ignorance toward America’s poor. It’s an ignorance that foolishly claims America’s War on Poverty is over.
David Bowies' early career is set to be the focus of a new documentary 'The Five Five Years', acting a prequel to the BBC's previous two films about the 'Space Oddity' legend.
Camden Snider of Alexandria and Jay Presley of Wellington were married May 12, 2018, at The Hotel Finial. Brother Jake Brown performed the ceremony. The bride was given in marriage by her father, Phillip D. Snider Jr. Music was provided by violinist Madison Foster.
There’s a familiar quote about life’s goals that applies to Anniston’s downtown revival; “To reach the top of the staircase, take one step at a time.”