Instead of trying to sanitize everything in your environment, take a cue from the medieval lords — make your castle stronger against the attack, and it won’t matter what is out there trying to get in. Here are some simple tips to help you get through this season’s icky symptoms.
1. Take nutritional supplements: Take a vitamin C pill daily. If you feel under the weather, take several throughout the day and add a zinc pill. Vitamin C is a vital component of your immune function and it helps your body to flush. Flushing out toxins is just what your body needs when waging a microscopic war on invaders. Drinking lots and lots and lots of water will also help with this.
It’s also a good idea to ramp up garlic intake. Garlic is a natural antimicrobial agent, so crush fresh garlic cloves in everything but the morning cereal.
2. Get exercise: Walk, run, go to an aerobics class — whatever helps you work up a healthy sweat. Your immune system will bulk up along with your muscles. If you do get a cold or the flu, don’t overdo it on the exercise. Gentle walking for a few minutes is the ticket to clear out your lungs, but you don’t want sap your energy.
3. Get sleep: This is the biggest problem for parents (take it from a new mom!), but getting to bed earlier will help your body recharge and keep your immune system at its best.
4. Get adjusted: Multiple lab studies show that immune cells flood the bloodstream after a chiropractic adjustment. Think of it as a jumpstart for your body. And keeping your nervous system communicating clearly keeps your defenses strong.
5. Avoid sugar: This is a hard one, but at least cut out sodas and candy as much as possible. Bacteria thrives on sugar in the body. Not to mention, sugar seriously inhibits your immune function.
Remember that those nasty symptoms are good for you. Your body flushes invading critters with snot, vomit and other unsavory functions. When you take medicines to stop these symptoms, you are only prolonging the agony. Help your body do what it needs to do, and you’ll get over your sickness much faster.