HOT BLAST: A lack of diversity on TV
Nov 01, 2013
| 1504 views |
What if the nation's demographics were defined by what we see on prime-time TV? Alyssa Rosenberg asks and answers her own question:
Alyssa Rosenberg writes: "It appears to have been direction that Brooklyn Nine-Nine showrunner Michael Schur took seriously. 'The New York City police force is roughly 50 percent Caucasian and roughly 50 percent non Caucasian. So we used that as our guideline. If we want this to look like a Brooklyn police precinct, that’s what it needs to look like,' he said at the Television Critics Association Press Tour this summer." (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)
- Half the population would be white men.
- Five percent of the population would be black men.
- Just 1.9 percent of the world would be Asian or Latino men.
- Overall, 57 percent of the population would be men.
- 34 percent of the world would be white women
- 3.8 percent would be African-American women
- And 3.8 percent would be Latino or Asian women
There's more to her story. Click here to see the rest.