Police release few details of Saks standoff
by Brian Anderson
Mar 11, 2013 | 18591 views |  0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In March, police approach a Saks home where two dead bodies later were discovered inside. (Photo by Trent Penny/The Anniston Star)
In March, police approach a Saks home where two dead bodies later were discovered inside. (Photo by Trent Penny/The Anniston Star)
Anniston police Monday afternoon wouldn’t disclose what they believed took place at a Saks home Sunday that led to deaths of two people and an all-day standoff with police.

Anniston police Lt. Fred Forsythe said the department was holding information about the incident that led to the deaths of Doris Wilson, 50, and Darren Wilson, 52, at their home on Asbury Avenue on Sunday.

“We’re not releasing anything due to the sensitivity of the incident,” Forsythe said. “We’re waiting on a full investigation.”

Forsythe said Doris Wilson was stabbed to death, while the cause of death for Darren Wilson was unknown. Both bodies were taken to a state forensic facility in Huntsville and police had not received a preliminary report late Monday afternoon. Forsythe said it may take six months for a full toxicology report.

Forsythe would not say whether the two were related.

Police were called to the home around noon on Sunday after receiving a report of a possible stabbing and domestic assault. Police surrounded the home for more than six hours as they attempted to make contact with anyone inside.

Anniston police interim Chief Shane Denham said at one point during the standoff, police called Alabama Power to cut off electricity to the home to shut off outside security cameras.

Forsythe said around 4:30 p.m., police released tear gas into the home in an attempt to lure out anyone inside.

Denham said police then broke outside windows at the home to allow a robotic device to search the dwelling. Police finally forced their way into the house around 6 p.m. after the device revealed the two bodies inside. No one else was discovered in the home.

During the ordeal, police blocked off Asbury Avenue from all directions as a crowd gathered on the perimeters of the crime scene. Steve Hanford, a neighbor close to the Wilson’s home, said he called 911 around noon after a man who appeared to be in his mid-20s jumped from a window of the home and told Hanford someone had been stabbed repeatedly and to call for help. Hanford said he believed the man was the boyfriend of Darren Wilson’s daughter.

“I was like ‘huh?’” Hanford said. “This is a very peaceful, quiet old-fashioned neighborhood. I didn’t know what was going on.”

Hanford said he wasn’t close with his neighbors, but would occasionally talk to a woman at the home.

“She was always really nice,” he said. “We would chit-chat a lot, and I don’t just do that with anyone.”

Staff writer Brian Anderson: 256-235-3546. On Twitter @BAnderson_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Friday, April 18, 2014