The next camping event of the Cheaha Sam Camping Club is to be Monday-June 24 at Noccalulu Falls in Gadsden. In July, the club will camp July 16-22 at Wendemere Cove in Langston. Call Charlie Owen at 256-237-4098 for more information.
Lunch and Learn series, a free gardening program sponsored by Calhoun County Master Gardeners and Calhoun County Commission, is to be noon-1 p.m. June 27 at Cane Creek Community Garden at McClellan. Bring your own lunch. A program on “succulents” is to be presented by Hayes Jackson, ACES. Call 256-237-6766 for more information.
A Girl Scout “Meet and Greet,” sponsored by the Weaver Post Office, is to be 9-11 a.m. today at 300 Alexandria Road in Weaver. Moms and daughters are invited to visit and meet local Girl Scouts, troop leaders and Ms. Jacque Cordle, community development manager of Girl Scouts of North Central Alabama. The U.S. Postal Service has dedicated a new stamp “Celebrate Scouting,” creating a lasting tribute to the Girl Scouts’ 100-year anniversary.
An organ recital, performed by Joshua Bullock, is to be 3 p.m. June 24 at the Church of St. Michael and All Angels, 1000 W. 18th St. Bullock recently graduated with a bachelor of music in organ performance from Samford University under the tutelage of James Dorroh. The recital is free and open to the public. Call 256-237-4011 for more information.
CAST Theatre is to hold auditions for the upcoming season at 7 p.m. Monday and 2 p.m. June 23 at First Presbyterian Church, 1701 Henry Road. Newcomers should bring a headshot photograph. Actors should present a one-minute monologue. Singers should bring their own accompaniment, if needed. Dancers should present a short piece. Call 256-820-2278 or 256-453-3197 for more information.
“Field Day,” sponsored by the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League), is to be 1 p.m. June 23-24 at the Ranburne Fire Department, East Main Street, Ranburne. The public is invited to view ham radio’s new capabilities and how to get an FCC license. Visit www.emergency-radio.org for more information.
June is Men’s Health month. The Calhoun County Health Department is to hold a free healthcare checkup for men 8 a.m.-noon June 26. Men may have their blood pressure checked, learn ways to take care of themselves, learn signs/symptoms of things that commonly affect men. Call 256-237-7523 for more information.
Upcoming events at the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County include:
• Today, 2 p.m., Touch-A-Truck extravaganza
• Today, 10 a.m., point-and-shoot digital camera class with Alicia Neely, professional photographer
• Monday movie at noon, Iron Lady
• Monday’s in June, 10 a.m., Cent$ible nutrition, presented by Amanda Haynes in conjunction with the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service
• Monday’s in June, 11 a.m., easy exercise and stretching classes
• Tuesday, 10 a.m., fairy tales
• Wednesday, 2 p.m., Darryl Patton, southern herbalist and natural health expert, to speak on medicinal plant identification and uses
• Thursday, 2 p.m., movie, Planet 51
• Friday, 2 p.m., Skin & Bones comedy circus
• June 24, 2 p.m., Teen Book Club: City of Bones
• Through July 2, adult summer reading program, for adults 18 and over, must be registered to win prizes, call 256-237-8501, ext. 25, for more information
• Through July 2, children’s summer reading program, Tuesday story times, Wednesday crafts, Thursday movies, Friday educational entertainment and more, register online at www.publiclibrary.cc/summerreading, to read for prizes. Call 256-237-8501, ext. 5, for more information.