Olive Garden spokeswoman Heidi Schauer said there was “miscommunication” about the restaurant’s policy regarding American flags.
In a statement made available on the Olive Garden’s Facebook page Wednesday, Schauer said the restaurant did not have a policy banning the American flag and will “welcome anyone who wishes to bring the flag into our restaurants.”
“Some members of our team were misinformed about company policy by our corporate office,” the statement read. “As a company we take responsibility for that and we regret it.”
This position is different from a statement received by The Star on Tuesday in an email from Schauer that stated Olive Garden’s policy did not allow any banners or flags in the dining area of the restaurant.
“To be fair to everyone and avoid disrupting the dining experience for all other guests, (Olive Garden) is unable to accommodate flags or banners of any type,” Schauer said in that original statement.
The clarification of the policy come after an incident in the Oxford Olive Garden last week involving the Oxford Golden K Kiwanis. Members were upset after they were told they couldn’t display the American flag as part of a meeting they were holding in the restaurant.
Star staff writer Brian Anderson: 256-235-3546