FBI to reopen investigation into the beating death of Rev. James Reeb in Selma, 1965.
by Jerry Mitchell
Jackson Clarion Ledger
and John Fleming
Anniston Star editor at large
Mar 11, 2011 | 10670 views |  0 comments | 22 22 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Rev. James Reeb is shown in this undated file photo. He was killed in Selma in 1965.
The Rev. James Reeb is shown in this undated file photo. He was killed in Selma in 1965.
Forty-six years after a white gang beat to death Unitarian Universalist minister James Reeb in Selma, the FBI is investigating the case.

Reeb’s daughter, Anne, said an FBI agent called family members months ago and informed them the March 11, 1965, killing was being pursued again.

“They did think the case was doable, but we never heard how,” she said. “We are just waiting on that.”

Reached at his office in Selma, District Attorney Michael Jackson confirmed the FBI is actively investigating the case, saying he met with FBI officials at his office in the Dallas County Courthouse in late 2010.

He said he and agents had a wide-ranging discussion about the case, but that he could not address the specifics. “The feds are investigating this, I can tell you that,” said Jackson. “But who they are looking at, well, I can only say they are investigating it.”

Fellow minister Clark Olsen, who witnessed the killing, welcomed news of the reinvestigation. He said he would be willing to testify again in the case, “but not without trepidation.”

Justice Department officials did not comment Thursday.

In 1965, three men — Elmer Cook, William Stanley Hoggle and Namon O’Neal Hoggle — were tried for murder, but the all-white jury acquitted the trio, despite testimony identifying the attackers.

A fourth man indicted, R.B. Kelley, was never prosecuted. He gave authorities the names of those he said attacked the ministers.

He denied playing a role himself, but police found a club in his car, according to FBI records.

At least one of those men, Namon O’Neal ‘Duck’ Hoggle, is alive.

Decades later, questions remain about the fairness of the trial. One juror, Harry Vardaman, was the brother of a key defense witness, Ben Vardaman. During jury selection, the judge refused to dismiss two white potential jurors who admitted they despised white civil rights workers for sharing meals with black Southerners.

All 13 black potential jurors were struck from the panel, causing the jury to be all white.

During the trial, defense lawyer Joe Pilcher suggested to jurors that “certain civil rights groups have to have a martyr, and they were willing to let Reeb die.”

In March 1965, Reeb, 38, traveled to Alabama in response to Martin Luther King Jr.’s invitation to ministers to join the Selma to Montgomery March. So did his friends and fellow Unitarian ministers, Clark Olsen and Orloff Miller.

On the night of March 9, the three white ministers had just finished dinner in downtown Selma at Walker’s Cafe, a historically black restaurant that had also opened its doors to white patrons.

The trio were heading back to Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church, where those involved with the march were meeting.

As they walked down the sidewalk, a gang of white men saw them and began crossing the street. “Hey, you n-----s,” one man called out to the preachers.

The ministers picked up their pace, and Olsen said they whispered to each other, “Just keep walking.”

The gang caught them from behind. Olsen said he saw Cook smash a club over Reeb’s head. The rest of the gang joined in, slugging and kicking the ministers.

When the attack ended, one gang member yelled, “Now you know what it is like to be a real n-----.”

Reeb, a father of four from Boston, was taken to a hospital, where he died March 11. National news media covered the story for several days.

Days after Reeb’s death, President Lyndon Johnson introduced the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

“At times, history and fate meet at a single time in a single place to shape a turning point in man’s unending search for freedom,” Johnson declared.

“So it was at Lexington and Concord. So it was a century ago at Appomattox. So it was last week in Selma, Alabama. There, long suffering men and women peacefully protested the denial of their rights as Americans. Many of them were brutally assaulted. One good man — a man of God — was killed.”

* * *

This story was reported by Jerry Mitchell and John Fleming and written by Mitchell.Fleming, The Star’s editor at large, and Mitchell are founding members of the Civil Rights Cold Case Project, which brings together investigative reporters and documentary filmmakers to uncover the stories behind unsolved civil rights murders in the South.

The project is affiliated with the Center for Investigative Reporting, the nation’s oldest nonprofit investigative news organization, and Paperny Films, a documentary film company in Vancouver, British Columbia. For more on the project, see coldcases.org

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Most Recommended

FBI to reopen investigation into the beating death of Rev. James Reeb in Selma, 1965. by Jerry Mitchell
Jackson Clarion Ledger
and John Fleming
Anniston Star editor at large

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Thursday, April 17, 2014