Tech discounts abound for college students
by Whit McGhee
Special to The Star
Aug 26, 2012 | 5449 views |  0 comments | 27 27 recommendations | email to a friend | print
With classes underway at most colleges around the country, two of the bigger names in tech are offering deep discounts on their products to students and employees in higher education.

With the purchase of a new Windows PC of $699 or more from Best Buy, Dell, HP, or Microsoft’s online store, the Redmond, Wash., company will throw in an Xbox 360 video game console for free.

Apple is offering higher education discounts as well, with buyers of its Mac computers or iPads receiving gift cards which can be used toward content purchased through its App Store or iTunes programs.

Microsoft’s deal ends Sept. 8, while Apple’s offer is good through Sept. 21.

These deals require some sort of proof that the buyer is a college student, faculty or staff member. A valid email address ending in “.edu” or student ID number will usually suffice.

Teens can’t live without their phones

How long could you live without your phone?

If you’re a teen, you might not make it a week, says the company behind a recent survey of 600 13- to 17-year-olds.

Social media news site Mashable reported on Tuesday the findings of the survey conducted by textPlus, makers of a messaging app for mobile phones.

Half of teens surveyed said they couldn’t go a week without their mobile phones. Thirty-six percent said they checked their phones once every 10 minutes, if not more.

The survey also found that the first and last thing most teens do each day is check their phones, with nearly three of every four respondents saying they glanced at their phones first thing in the morning and just before going to bed.

When it comes to all the things that mobile devices are now capable of doing, text messaging remains the most popular activity among teens, according to textPlus. Sixty-one percent of respondents said they couldn’t live without the ability to send and receive messages. tracking election through book purchases

Could the outcome of November elections be predicted by what Americans are reading?

It’s a question is seeking to answer with the Amazon Election Heat Map, which the website rolled out Tuesday.

Amazon, best known as a retailer of books and Kindle e-reader devices, is tracking purchases of political books on its website from all 50 states and categorizing each book according to its political leanings.

At press time, Amazon’s map showed 56 percent of buyers purchasing conservative-leaning or “red” books, covering all but six states and the District of Columbia. “Blue” books comprised the other 44 percent.

While Amazon admits the map may not be a reflection of how people will vote, the company in a statement on its website says “book purchases can reflect curiosity as much as commitment” in political conversation leading up to November.
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Most Recommended

Tech discounts abound for college students by Whit McGhee
Special to The Star

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Friday, April 18, 2014