Standoff ends in Saks with discovery of two dead
by Brian Anderson
Mar 10, 2013 | 56612 views |  0 comments | 21 21 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In March, police approach a Saks home where two dead bodies later were discovered inside. (Photo by Trent Penny/The Anniston Star)
In March, police approach a Saks home where two dead bodies later were discovered inside. (Photo by Trent Penny/The Anniston Star)
An hours-long police standoff Sunday afternoon ended with the discovery of two dead bodies in a home in Saks.

Anniston police interim Chief Shane Denham said the bodies of one man and one woman were removed from a home on the 4400 block of Asbury Avenue around 6:30 p.m., ending a standoff which had begun at noon.

Denham said the victims had not been positively identified and names would not be released until Monday. Their relationship, if any, was unknown. The interim chief said any discussion of the cause of death Sunday afternoon would be speculation.

When asked about rumors that a woman had been stabbed at the home, Denham said “it appears that way.”

Denham said police received a call just after noon about a possible domestic assault at the home. Police tried for several hours to get contact information for possible suspects in the home, but never made contact with anyone, Denham said. At one point Denham said he called Alabama Power to have electricity cut to the home in order to shut off security cameras outside the dwelling.

Sometime after 5 p.m. officers fired tear gas into the home to force out anyone inside.

After searching the house with a robotic device and discovering two dead bodies, police moved into the home, Denham said. No one else was found inside.

Police blocked off the street in all directions as a crowd gathered at the perimeter of the scene. Steve Hanford, a neighbor close to the crime scene, said he called 911 around noon after a man who appeared to be in his mid-20s jumped from a window of the home and told Hanford someone had been stabbed repeatedly.

“I was like ‘huh?’” Hanford said. “This is a very peaceful, quiet old-fashioned neighborhood. I didn’t know what was going on.”

Hanford said he wasn’t close with his neighbors, but would occasionally talk to a woman at the home.

“She was always really nice,” he said. “We would chit-chat a lot, and I don’t just do that with anyone.”

Staff writer Brian Anderson: 256-235-3546. On Twitter @BAnderson_Star.

Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Saturday, April 19, 2014