All proceeds from Cupcakes for Critters fund spaying and neutering for Calhoun County pets from low-income families. Every year, thousands of unwanted dogs and cats are put to death in our area, not to mention those who starve, die of disease or are killed on roads and highways. Occasionally, a rescuer comes along, but that is the exception. Birth prevention is the most humane, proactive way to solve this tragic problem. Since SAVE’s inception in 2009, this group has funded close to 1,000 surgeries.
What you can do
• Support “Cupcakes for Critters” and the many other SAVE fundraisers throughout the year.
• If you know of those repeat offenders who continue to allow their pets to reproduce, refer them to SAVE.
• Consider adopting a pet, rather than shopping.
• Volunteer at a local shelter, such as the Animal Shelter, League for Animal Welfare or Calhoun County Animal Control Center.
• Donate to SAVE at www.alsave.org or P. O. Box 2246, Anniston, AL 36202.
• Support animal-friendly legislation (contact our local delegation and visit www.alabamavotesforanimals.org to find out more).
• Educate others about spaying and neutering.
There is no charge to attend Cupcakes for Critters, but a $5 donation is suggested (although more would be greatly appreciated!). In case of rain, the event will take place at the same time Saturday. Come out, enjoy the lovely garden, delicious cupcakes, and meet a rescued dog or kitty — very well behaved and available for adoption.
To share your news with Small Talk, contact Annette Maddox at email@example.com.
Save the Date
Get out your planner now and reserve Aug. 16 for the American Cancer Society’s Summer Gala: “Cheers to 100 Years! Here’s to More Birthdays.” This is a BIG event that raises BIG MONEY for the ACS. Watch upcoming editions of Small Talk for details.