Homeland Insecurity: An early night
by Lisa Davis
Feb 10, 2013 | 771 views |  0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
I intended to turn in early, because I was recovering from a stomach bug. (I’m hoping it was that new bug from Australia that they’re calling the “Ferrari of viruses,” because that’s as close as I’ll ever come to having a Ferrari.)

It’s surprising how tired you can get lying on the couch for three days.

My husband had already gone to bed. He always goes to bed early. He doesn’t have that gene that prevents him from walking away from a sinkful of dirty dishes at bedtime.

I don’t know why I said that. I don’t have that gene either.

8 p.m.: Sent kids upstairs early to get ready for bed.

8:01: Popped an Advil for the throbbing headache that the virus left in its wake. Or maybe it was because I hadn’t been able to drink coffee for three days. Either way, hoped it would also make me sleepy.

8:02: Settled on couch to wait for Advil to kick in. Could’ve just gone to bed, but was fearful that if I did, I’d just wake up at 3 a.m.

8:05: Queued up last week’s episode of “Downton Abbey,” which I missed when the Superbowl suddenly got exciting. Figured I’d watch it, got sleepy, went to bed at 9.

8:21: First child came back downstairs, wanting a snack.

8:25: Second child came back downstairs, wanting to chat.

8:40: After feeding and chatting, sent kids back upstairs.

8:41: Noticed dirty dishes in sink.

8:45: Woke up dog by washing dishes.

8:46: Dog barked to go out.

8:53: Dog barked to come in.

8:54: Dog barked at food bowl. Wondered if anybody had remembered to feed the dog while I was lying on the couch for three days.

8:55: Fed dog.

9 p.m.: Finished washing dishes.

9:05: Dog finished eating, barked to go back out.

9:06: Queued up “Downton Abbey” again while waiting on dog to get finished outside.

9:25: Dog barked to come in.

9:29: Turned out lights and “Downton Abbey.” Went upstairs to bed.

9:30: Said goodnight to children. Realized both had apparently caught colds while I was lying on the couch for three days.

9:32: Medicated first child.

9:42: Started to medicate second child, but made mistake of stepping into the boy’s bathroom, which had been left untended while I was lying on the couch for three days.

9:43: Wiped down boy’s bathroom. (No, it couldn’t wait.)

9:53: Medicated second child.

9:58: Put water in humidifier and started it running.

10 p.m.: Had brief discussion of Greek heroes, prompted by bedtime reading and upcoming school project.

10:10: Said goodnight to children again.

10:15: Got ready for bed. Brushed teeth for first time in three days. Put on pajamas that I’d taken off only seven hours earlier.

10:30: Went to bed.

11:47 p.m.: Still awake. Staring at ceiling. Seems I picked up a second wind somewhere during the evening.

Email Lisa Davis at ldavis@annistonstar.com.
Comments must be made through Facebook
No personal attacks
No name-calling
No offensive language
Comments must stay on topic
No infringement of copyrighted material

Friends to Follow

Most Recommended

Homeland Insecurity: An early night by Lisa Davis

Today's Events

event calendar

post a new event

Sunday, April 20, 2014