The Anniston Star

facebook twitter
October 23, 2014

D.C. Navy Yard shooter was reservist until 2011

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 3:59 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.

The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Connect with us

Featured Events

Online poll

HOT BLAST: Is Speaker Mike Hubbard a victim of a 'witch hunt?' (Take our reader poll)

House Speaker Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn, says his indictment on 23 counts of corruption is a "political witch hunt." Do you agree?

Total Votes: 49

Loading…